Sunday, January 3, 2010

We May Be Getting Too Old For This


In the past month or so, we've grown quite fond of this new Nashville eatery - the Whiskey Kitchen. Our friend Chad, who used to be the Sous Chef at our favorite restaurant in Nashville - Radius10 (moment of silence), is the executive chef there. Chad created many special moments for us at Radius10 and we were so excited to enjoy his creations at Lime for a few months, and now Whiskey Kitchen.

Our first experience was on a sleepy Tuesday night in Nashville. We pulled right into the best parking spot - right in front of the door - and from that moment on had a fantastic experience.

Last night was a bit different. Since I'm about to be at a conference for Sweet Sleep all next week, I thought we should have date night on Saturday. Some friends that know Dennis from their mission work in Moldova picked him up and took him to the Opry at the Ryman, so we went for a date at Whiskey Kitchen.


We pulled in just as someone was leaving and got that best parking spot again. Things were looking up! The wait, they told us, would be 30 minutes. So we hung around the bar, talked to some friends we ran into, watched the Razorbacks win the Liberty Bowl, and after an hour I went to check out the situation. The place was packed but nobody appeared to be waiting for a table. The hostess said we were next and when I told her where to find us, she said she knew and she'd get us shortly. After another 20 minutes or so I went back. Our name was crossed out and many had been seated after us. When I asked, I got some story about the wrong name being crossed about but we hadn't been skipped and we were next and blah blah. 10 minutes later, we had a seat. We weren't totally cranky or upset, just hungry and missing the fantastic folks a Radius10 who would have never allowed such madness. :)

It was a very happening place, and I'm glad. The last two establishments in that location were not here long. So we are happy for them, happy for chad - and happy that our food, when we finally got it, was fantastic.  Emily had the Hawaiian Pizza and I had the Southern Sliders with chicken. Oh my goodness - you have to try them. 4 biscuits. 4 huge pieces of fried chicken. 3 amazing sauces. I love sauce and these are amazing - some kind of blackberry butter and herbed boursin cheese and some other awesome tastiness. :) We also had some fantastic appetizers - little smokies with jalapenos and fried onions and sweet potato fries with a tasty mustard dipping sauce. Yum. :)

When we finished dinner and I went out to answer my cell phone to find out it was time to pick Dennis up at the Ryman, I got carded when I came back in by a guy who looked 24 with a scarf around his neck. No logo, no name tag, didn't say he worked there - just asked to see my I.D. I said - dude, i've been here for 3 hours. He didn't care. Some sort of under cover bouncer. :)

So while we whole-heartedly suggest you go try this place out, maybe you should join us on a Tuesday around 5. We're just getting too old for this... :)

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Entry! Maybe we should all go out on a tour of Merrymant (get it...merriment)! And eat at your favorite places. I loved Radius 10 the one time I ate there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree! A Nashville culinary trip should be in your future. Maybe wait till nuggie gets here and have nana watch him. Then you can experience tasty drinks at Whiskey Kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete